A week or so ago we took advantage of a rare morning off & walked along stalkers paths to Glenarigolach abandoned village near Gruinard River in the Allt a’ Ghlinnie valley.
After fighting through the 5ft tall bracken (As usual one of our party decided he knew the route better than the directions he had been given!!!) we came across great expanses of Bog Cotton meadows with the slightly concealed peaks of Beinn Dearg in the distance.
Glenarigolach means ‘Glen of the forked shieling’ and the settlement comprises the remains of 22 rectangular buildings including a corn drying kiln and evidence of field clearances & lazy beds. The village was cleared for a sheep run around 1840.
The site has been inhabited for some considerable time as there is a 9m roundhouse with field wall and possible burial cairnfield with at least 5 cairns.
Whilst wandering around the ruins we were joined by a mysterious visitor…….hence the UFO! or UFB in this case!
Any twitchers who can give this UFB an identity we’d love to hear it. (Jenni….help!!)
Some more visitors along the walk, a Golden Ringed dragonfly and a female Stonechat (we think!)
The views on the way back were fantastic. Definitely a walk we shall be doing again and again and again.